Adega is a personal project. My goal was to create a mobile app to exercise my skills as a product designer, especially information architecture, interaction design, and visual design.
How could I structure a design process to create an app for wine lovers and enhance my skills as a product designer?
To conceive the product, I followed a three-step process: research (exploration and definition), prototype (ideation and simulation), and evaluation (test and iterate).
I used different techniques to investigate the problem space, such as benchmarking, user research, and persona. Based on all the insights collected at this phase, I defined the user needs and product objectives.
The first technique I used to explore the market space was benchmarking. I analyzed three apps (Wine, Vivino, and Evino) to compare their pros and cons.
After the comparison, three insights came to mind:
Before sketching any idea, I needed to understand users' preferences about wine. To do so, I ran a survey with 20 questions to gather data about demographics, habits, and preferences. The form was available on my LinkedIn profile for a week and received 30 qualified answers. The main results are as follows.
When asked about the main factor they consider when choosing a wine label:
And when asked about what features they consider the most relevant, the 3 out of 7 most voted were:
After gathering all the data about the market and the users, I created a persona to consolidate the main findings and insights. The attributes I considered were some demographics such as gender and age, the goals, behaviors, frustrations, and motivations.
With the problem space explored, I started the second stage of the process, which goal was to address the solution space. I used different tools at this phase: user flow, wireframes, and high-fidelity prototype.
The first step was defining the functional specifications and the content requirements. After this, I created the user flow to consider the interaction design and information architecture.
The next step was creating the wireframes. This stage was essential for three reasons: to present the information in a way that facilitates understanding; to arrange the interface elements and enable users to interact with the system; and to structure the navigation, allowing them to move through the experience.
The final step of the prototyping phase was defining the sensory experience. It included different visual elements, such as color palettes, typography, design comps, and a style guide.
With the wireframes and visual elements created, it was possible to design the screens in high-fidelity. This process was much easier because the rules and principles were predefined. So the main effort was translating and adjusting each screen accordingly.